When I was a kid I hung out at a friend’s house that had no microwave. His dad wouldn’t allow it. This was frustrating for us because cooking for ourselves was hard and slow. We would always burn stuff. I finally asked his dad what the deal was and he thought they were unsafe. He felt that since you could see into the box the microwaves were obviously coming through and cooking your face. Also when you opened the door the last burst of microwaves would come flying out into the room. This was over 20 years ago… I wonder if he ever gave in and let them get one. I would think the lack of people dying from cooked faces would be apparent by now.